The guidance on this page will be updated regularly. Please be assured we have your safety at heart; we’ll be back as soon as we can to look after you with the lightest of touches.
We are closed for now but one of our core staff is on site 24/7 to take your bookings, answer enquiries and make plans with you for the future.
If you are planning a break later in the year, please book now and relax; our generous cancellation policy means you won’t be penalised by world events!
Once we are able to reopen, this page will be updated to reflect the regulations then in place around your visit.
We’ve got a great story to tell; our beautiful grade II* listed Georgian townhouse was originally home to Major General William Kirkpatrick from 1805-1813, a bohemian character who worked for the East India Company. You may spot a nod to this in the rooms, named after trades synonymous with Exeter’s past as a mercantile hub, so expect to stay in Silk, Cotton, Ivory and Spice among others…
Need to know…
- Checking in and out – Check in time is 3pm, but feel free to arrive earlier and use the facilities of the hotel. Check out is at 11am. Later check outs will be accommodated if possible.
- Booking T&Cs – For all of our rates, cancellation is free of charge up to 3pm on the day before your arrival, after which a full one-night charge will be made. In giving us your credit card details, you confirm agreement to these terms and conditions.
- Access – please note that due to the historic Grade II* listing of the property, we do not have a lift. Staff are on hand to assist with your bags but you are advised to leave anything you do not need during your time with us in your car. Our neighbouring apartment, SevenCentral, is accessible by lift and enjoys all the facilities of the hotel.
- Parking – We have a driveway in front of the hotel where you can unload your bags, check in and find your bearings. There are several managed car parks close by and parking on the road in Southernhay itself is free overnight. Please read the directions for parking in your pre-stay email.
- Wi-Fi – this is free and available throughout the hotel.
- Dogs – We do not accept dogs in the bedrooms, nor the internal public rooms. Dogs are welcome outside, in the garden and on the large terrace.
- Smoking – Southernhay House is a non-smoking hotel. A £200 fee will be charged should we need to deep clean your bedroom for any reason.
- Children – We have no facilities for small children; older children are welcome to book into our rooms on an adult basis. Please note the maximum occupancy for all of our rooms is two guests and all rooms are doubles.
- Eating – We serve food at lunchtimes and in the evening in our Bar, cosy Club Room, Green Room or, weather permitting, outside on the open terrace: you choose where you’d like to eat!
Southernhay House Hotel is a friendly, independently owned hotel in the heart of Exeter city centre. Our focus is on making you the centre of your stay, and creating a luxe environment which is easy and comfortable for you. Our dedicated full time staff are on hand to make sure all your needs are met during your stay. Don’t hesitate to ask us for any extras, advice on the area and attractions, dietary requirements or travel arrangements. At a time of global change and re-evaluation, we want to reassure you that we’ve got your comfort and safety at our heart.
Meet The Team
- Managers: Noga Shelah and Sally French
- Duty Managers: Paulius Markonis and Jack Morton
- Owners: Tony Orchard & Deborah Clark