Exeter and Devon are designated Tier 1 and we're open full time. Read on for some ways in which our new protocols will affect your stay...but not your enjoyment or relaxation!
Please wear your mask when moving around our public spaces indoors and maintain a respectful distance from guests who are not part of your group. Masks are not needed when seated at your table. There is plenty of sanitiser for your use as wanted throughout the hotel.
Pre-booking and the “Rule of Six”:
Please pre-book your table for breakfast and any drinks or meals you wish to have. If timing is important to you, please let us know before you arrive. If you have a favourite table, or want to try different options, you can view our table plan here. Non resident guests are also invited to pre-book to be sure of a table. If you have not pre-booked, you will need to give the contact details for one member of your party to us, or “check in” via the NHS App displayed in the hotel entrance.
Parties and groups: we’re made for celebrations, although they may be smaller in the coming months. Check with us what spaces are available for your social group; we’ll make it work if we can! At the moment we’re only taking bookings for up to six guests at any table. For that special occasion, our Private Dining Menus and our Private Dining Room are now available for parties of six. Weddings are the exception and for these celebrations we can take bookings for up to 15 guests.
Resident guests: please read your booking confirmation and look out for your important pre-stay information email. Don’t let us go to spam! save email@example.com as a safe address now.
Table Service only:
Once you are seated at your table, you may remove your mask. Service is at the table only; please do not order at the Bar. If you prefer not to handle the menus, you can access these via the QR code on the reverse of your reservation card (which is on your table) or displayed on the Bar.
After 10pm, we are open only to resident guests. All non-resident guests will be asked to leave before 10pm, at which time our doors will be locked and residents will need to ring the bell to gain access.
This is a learning curve for us all and we understand that you may feel unsure about new protocols as they are introduced. Please be assured that we are fully compliant, up to date with all government regulations and enjoying getting back to a sense of safe normality. Let us look after your safe space while you relax and enjoy an escape in Exeter.
We’ve got a great story to tell; our beautiful grade II* listed Georgian townhouse was originally home to Major General William Kirkpatrick from 1805-1813, a bohemian character who worked for the East India Company. You may spot a nod to this in the rooms, named after trades synonymous with Exeter’s past as a mercantile hub, so expect to stay in Silk, Cotton, Ivory and Spice among others…
Need to know…
- Checking in and out – Check in time is 3pm, but feel free to arrive earlier and use the facilities of the hotel. Check out is at 11am. Later check outs will be accommodated if possible.
- Booking T&Cs – For all of our rates, cancellation is free of charge up to 3pm on the day before your arrival, after which a full one-night charge will be made. In giving us your credit card details, you confirm agreement to these terms and conditions.
- Access – please note that due to the historic Grade II* listing of the property, we do not have a lift. Staff are on hand to assist with your bags but you are advised to leave anything you do not need during your time with us in your car. Our neighbouring apartment, SevenCentral, is accessible by lift and enjoys all the facilities of the hotel.
- Parking – We have a driveway in front of the hotel where you can unload your bags, check in and find your bearings. There are several managed car parks close by and parking on the road in Southernhay East itself is free overnight. Please read the directions for parking in your pre-stay email.
- Wi-Fi – this is free and available throughout the hotel.
- Dogs – We do not accept dogs in the bedrooms, nor the internal public rooms. Dogs are welcome outside in the garden and on the large terrace.
- Smoking – Southernhay House is a non-smoking hotel. A £200 fee will be charged should we need to deep clean your bedroom for any reason.
- Children – We have no facilities for small children; older children are welcome to book into our rooms on an adult basis. Please note the maximum occupancy for all of our rooms is two guests and all rooms are doubles.
- Eating – We serve food at lunchtimes and in the evening in our Bar, cosy Club Room, Green Room or, weather permitting, outside on the open terrace: you choose where you’d like to eat!
Southernhay House Hotel is a friendly, independently owned hotel in the heart of Exeter city centre. Our focus is on making you the centre of your stay, and creating a luxe environment which is easy and comfortable for you. Our dedicated full time staff are on hand to make sure all your needs are met during your stay. Don’t hesitate to ask us for any extras, advice on the area and attractions, dietary requirements or travel arrangements. At a time of global change and re-evaluation, we want to reassure you that we’ve got your comfort and safety at our heart.
Meet The Team
- Managers: Noga Shelah and Sally French
- Duty Managers: Paulius Markonis and Jack Morton
- Owners: Tony Orchard & Deborah Clark