We're open from 6th August. It will be weekends only - Thursday to Saturday nights - until 10th September, when we go full time. Read on for some ways in which our new protocols will affect your stay...but not your enjoyment or relaxation!
You are invited to wear your mask when moving around our public spaces indoors at busy times and maintain a respectful distance from guests who are not part of your group. Once you are seated at your table masks can be removed – and need not be worn outside in the garden or terrace (provided distance is maintained). There is plenty of sanitiser for your use as wanted throughout the hotel. Resident guests may prefer to use the bathroom facilities in their bedroom.
Please pre-book your table for breakfast and any drinks or meals you wish to have. If timing is important to you, please let us know before you arrive. If you have a favourite table, or want to try different options, you can view our table plan here. Non resident guests are also invited to pre-book to be sure of a table. Numbers may be limited for a while but the SH experience will be the same!
Parties and groups: we’re made for celebrations, although they may be smaller in the coming months. Check with us what spaces are available for your social group; we’ll make it work if we can!
Resident guests: please read your booking confirmation and look out for your pre-stay information email. Don’t let us go to spam! save email@example.com as a safe address now.
There may be fewer staff on each shift, again, to comply with distancing regulations. Those who are there will be attentive to you; please bear with them and let us know any special dietary or other requirements in advance.
Of course, our cleaning and sanitising protocols are already in place and you will find reassurance in these during your stay.
We’ve got a great story to tell; our beautiful grade II* listed Georgian townhouse was originally home to Major General William Kirkpatrick from 1805-1813, a bohemian character who worked for the East India Company. You may spot a nod to this in the rooms, named after trades synonymous with Exeter’s past as a mercantile hub, so expect to stay in Silk, Cotton, Ivory and Spice among others…
Need to know…
- Checking in and out – Check in time is 3pm, but feel free to arrive earlier and use the facilities of the hotel. Please note that we are unable to guarantee that left luggage in our public rooms will not be handled by staff or other guests – you are strongly advised to keep your luggage with you pre-check in or post-check out when not in your room. Check out is at 11am. Later check outs will be accommodated if possible.
- Booking T&Cs – With our flexible rate, cancellation is free of charge up to 3pm on the day before your arrival, after which a full one-night charge will be made. In giving us your credit card details, you confirm agreement to these terms and conditions.
- Access – please note that due to the historic Grade II* listing of the property, we do not have a lift. Staff are on hand to assist with your bags but you are advised to leave anything you do not need during your time with us in your car. Our neighbouring apartment, Seven Central, is accessible by lift and enjoys all the facilities of the hotel.
- Parking – We have a driveway in front of the hotel where you can unload your bags, check in and find your bearings. There are several managed car parks close by and parking on the road in Southernhay East itself is free overnight. Please read the directions for parking in your pre-stay email.
- Wi-Fi – this is free and available throughout the hotel. The password is kirkpatrick.
- Dogs – We do not accept dogs in the bedrooms, nor the internal public rooms. Dogs are welcome outside in the garden and on the large terrace.
- Smoking – Southernhay House is a non-smoking hotel. A £200 fee will be charged should we need to deep clean your bedroom for any reason.
- Children – We have no facilities for small children; older children are welcome to book into our rooms on an adult basis. Please note the maximum occupancy for all of our rooms is two guests and all rooms are doubles.
- Eating – We serve food at lunchtimes and in the evening in our Bar, cosy Club Room, Green Room or, weather permitting, outside on the open terrace: you choose where you’d like to eat!
Southernhay House Hotel is a friendly, independently owned hotel in the heart of Exeter city centre. Our focus is on making you the centre of your stay, and creating a luxe environment which is easy and comfortable for you. Our dedicated full time staff are on hand to make sure all your needs are met during your stay. Don’t hesitate to ask us for any extras, advice on the area and attractions, dietary requirements or travel arrangements. At a time of global change and re-evaluation, we want to reassure you that we’ve got your comfort and safety at our heart.
Meet The Team
- Managers: Noga Shelah and Sally French
- Duty Managers: Paulius Markonis and Jack Morton
- Owners: Tony Orchard & Deborah Clark