While we're closed right now to close down covid-19, we're taking bookings from 6th August. We're grateful for all of your support and we can't wait to get back up and looking after our guests. Read on for some ways in which the global crisis will affect your stay...
We’ll be asking you to pre-book your table for breakfast and any drinks or meals you wish to have while you are our guest. This is so that we can ensure we all comply with physical distancing requirements as they may evolve. If timing is important to you, please let us know before you arrive. If you have a favourite table, or want to try different options, you can view our table plan here.
We’re taking bookings only for all drinks and food. This applies to non residents, also. You’re very welcome at Southernhay House but we will need to allocate you a table and a time. Numbers will, sadly, be limited for a while but the SH experience will be the same!
Parties and groups! We’re made for celebrations, although they may be smaller in the coming months. Ordinarily, we’re working to maximum tables of four (so that we can safely block out the immediate area around you) but we’re happy to take small party booking too, since these will be a private party for your “social bubble” in your chosen room.
We’ll also be limiting our guests at reception for check in and check out, so we’d appreciate if you could call us when you are en route with an eta. We may need to ask you to wait in your car while we complete a check in (or out). We’ll also send you a copy of your bill before check out time and, if you are happy with this, you can authorise us to take payment without contact.
There may be fewer staff on each shift, again, to comply with any physical distancing regulations. Those who are there will be attentive to you; please bear with them and let us know any special dietary or other requirements in advance.
Of course, our cleaning and sanitising protocols are already in place and you will find reassurance in these during your stay.
We’ve got a great story to tell; our beautiful grade II* listed Georgian townhouse was originally home to Major General William Kirkpatrick from 1805-1813, a bohemian character who worked for the East India Company. You may spot a nod to this in the rooms, named after trades synonymous with Exeter’s past as a mercantile hub, so expect to stay in Silk, Cotton, Ivory and Spice among others…
Need to know…
- Checking in and out – Check in time is 3pm, but feel free to arrive earlier and use the facilities of the hotel, subject to physical distancing requirements. Check out is at 11am. Later check outs will be accommodated if possible.
- Booking T&Cs – Cancellation is free of charge up to 3pm on the day before your arrival, after which a full one-night charge will be made. In giving us your credit card details, you confirm agreement to these terms and conditions.
- Access – please note that due to the historic Grade II* listing of the property, we do not have a lift. Staff are on hand to assist with your bags but you are advised to leave anything you do not need during your time with us in your car. We have very limited facilities to store luggage.
- Parking – We have a driveway in front of the hotel where you can unload your bags, check in and find your bearings. There are several managed car parks close by and parking on the road in Southernhay East itself is free overnight.
- Wi-Fi – this is free and available throughout the hotel.
- Dogs – We do not accept dogs in the bedrooms. For non resident guests, dogs are welcome in the garden.
- Smoking – Southernhay House is a non-smoking hotel. A £200 fee will be charged should we need to deep clean your bedroom for any reason.
- Children – We have no facilities for small children; older children are welcome to book into our rooms on an adult basis. Please note the maximum occupancy for all of our rooms is two guests and all rooms are doubles.
- Eating – We serve food at lunchtimes and in the evening in our Bar, cosy Club Room, Green Room or, weather permitting, outside on the open veranda: you choose where you’d like to eat!
Southernhay House Hotel is a friendly, independently owned hotel in the heart of Exeter city centre. Our focus is on making you the centre of your stay, and creating a luxe environment which is easy and comfortable for you. Our dedicated full time staff are on hand to make sure all your needs are met during your stay. Don’t hesitate to ask us for any extras, advice on the area and attractions, dietary requirements or travel arrangements. At a time of global change and re-evaluation, we want to reassure you that we’ve got your comfort and safety at our heart.
Meet The Team
- Managers: Noga Shelah and Sally French
- Duty Managers: Paulius Markonis and Jack Morton
- Owners: Tony Orchard & Deborah Clark