Our favourite things to do
We're fans of Exeter's independent traders and the huge selection of local Devon produce on offer here. Not to mention the growing young cultural scene and tech businesses moving into the city.....read on:
Here are a few current recommendations from our team at Southernhay House:
- Moko – for interior design, off the wall gifts and alternative essentials, in quirky Gandy Street – 15 minutes walk from SH.
- Lorna Ruby – for fashion with a twist, just off Cathedral Close – 10 minutes walk from SH.
- Lotus Lofts Yoga Centre – for the best and most personal drop-in yoga classes in Exeter – 3 minutes walk from SH.
- Quay Climbing Centre – the South West’s largest indoor climbing wall – 15 minutes walk from SH.
- The Phoenix Arts Centre – where mainstream meets alternative in the heart of Exeter city – 15 minutes walk from SH.
- The Cavern – for live gigs from some of Exeter’s finest local indie bands – 20 minutes walk from SH.
- The canoeing and watersports centre in the Quay is great for tuition, tasters and a few energetic hours on the estuary – 15 minutes walk from SH.
- The Roots Foundation a hipster barber and vegan shop celebrating a plant-based food, shopping and lifestyle – 20 minutes walk from SH.
- The AWEsome Art Space in Paris Street, showcasing local and national young artists – 10 minutes walk from SH
- Erin Cox’s beautiful jewellery workshop and showroom, in Castle Street – 15 minutes walk from SH
- A stroll down nearby Magdalen Road, 5 minutes walk from SH, for a browse into any or all of the independent shops and cafes: from unusual gifts and ukulele at Maker Maker, local delicacies at Bon Gout Deli, local meat and veg at Ben’s Farm Shop and award winning Gibson’s Plaice Fishmonger.
- Rooster Records new & used vinyl LP, 12″ and 7″ records covering all genres – 10 minutes walk from SH.
- No Guts No Glory; shop, studio space & speciality coffee bar with a message of sustainability, slow living & well being – 10 minutes walk from SH.
- Choccie Bar, selling their home made artisanal chocs and tucked away down Gandy Street (incidentally JK Rowling’s inspiration for Diagon Alley) – 10 minutes walk from SH.
- Devon Coffee; his favourite place to enjoy a latte and write new menus for SH! Seats are limited but it’s worth the wait. Queen Street, just 10 minutes walk from SH.